Friday, April 20, 2007

Thanksgiving

Overheard a bit of a conversation. Did not pay much attention to remember the details but, the gist is that there is a person who has a disability since childhood and my colleague was trying to comfort the person over the phone.
It made me remember the lessons taught at school. They drilled it into us to say a prayer each night and thank God for making you whole and also say a prayer for those who weren’t blessed in the way we are.
What I believe is everyone is blessed in a way. People would say, "Its easy for you to say this…ask a blind girl how it feels not to be able to see the colors in life, ask a deaf man what he would not give up to be able to hear again, ask a person who has lost someone dear, what he won’t do to have them back in their lives?"

All these questions make me feel very small. I have tried to close my eyes and walk a few yards, and the darkness was so profound, I felt lost.

There are social initiatives for people who are challenged.
There are other initiatives that help kids study in areas that are economically unsound. It is always an honor to be a part of such efforts. Its not very difficult, and believe me it does not prove as a drain on your social life.

There is a movie by the name "A walk to remember". I first watched it some 3-4 years back and I have watched it over and over again, just to keep me awake and human, lest I become too complacent with what life has given me or too embittered by whatever it has stolen from me.

Walking in the rains (it has been pouring here for the past three evenigs) I have been thinking and taking stock. I remembered the time I had been in the himalayas rafting and went for a cliff jump. It is just like a trust fall sans the interlocked hands to catch you when you fall. It is just volumes of deep, dark water meandering through the mountains. It is scary. That was another time I said a desperate prayer and closed my eyes before I jumped. Then I let go. I heard the temple bells ring somewhere, came back to the present, took off my shoes and walked in. It is a quaint little place that I manage to find only during my evening walks. I don’t even know how it looks by daylight. I like to sit down and hear the bells ring and see the people kneel down and ask for their wishes to be granted, some just ask 'to be happy not only today but for years to come, always'.
I like that temple for another reason as well. They distribute ‘Prasad’ (offerings made to the deity) after the evening worship in little bowls made out of dried leaves. After a day at work, it tastes ethereal.

The bigger picture always will be elusive. We can only wonder at the scheme of life. The key lies in balance and not losig direction, standing up and walking ahead.
Disorientation, only makes things worse. Remember, you are not alone. Had you been on your own with no responsibilities, everything could have been different, bad and reckless in a way. Keeping your head on your shoulders is what is most important, and even more important is holding it high.

School was a place I will always miss. The games, the friends, the teachers, classes, the librabry, labs, the canteen, the fun, the resolutions,and the values will remain forever.

I can hear the bells again. This time very distant. And I say a little prayer. I ask for happiness, not only for me, but for all whom I love, not just today but for years to come, always.

No comments: