Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Interview on the Streets of Reading


As I left office for lunch and turned a corner in the King's Road, I was stopped by two kids. I was deep in thought and hence was walking with my head down. When they called out to me, startled I looked up and unconciously tensed. It turned out that the two kids were out to do a survey. They held a card board in hand with papers to write on and a questionnaire.

The following were their questions:

The boy with the black hat: Do you believe in God? (?)
Me: Yes I do(I mean what kind of silly question is this to ask at noon to a person who is hungry and has been staring at the computer for the past 3 hours with just a slice of bread and a glass of juice inside her?)(He makes a line on his paper in series with the existing lines just the way we used to in school for measuring frequency!)

The boy with the black hat: What makes you believe that there is a God? (??)
Me: aww..ummm(smile)
The boy with the black hat: Not Sure?
Me: The fact that I am here, alive, standing and talking to you makes me believe that there is a God (I give myself 8 on 10 for that answer - More confidence gained- a smug look on face now...Yet hungry and wondering what are these boys up to!! And I would not survive long if you keep me talking in this cold windy street.)

The boy with the black hat: Do you think there is a purpose to life? (???)
Me:(My purpose in life for the next 1 hour is to get back home, cook something, fill my poor grumbling tummy and get back to my work) Yes there definitely is! ( He doesnt understand...I am hungry!)

The boy with the black hat: What is your purpose in life?
Me: (Good question - I could have answered that had I wanted to before you asked me this question - Since you ask...) I just want happiness for the people who are connected to me and are important for me!

The boy with the black hat: What makes you happy?
Me: I am not sure.

The boy with the black hat: Where are you from?
Me: India(Ofcourse!! Can't you make out from my looks?)

The boy with the black hat:What are you? Hindu, Muslim, christian?
Me:(I am none of the above...I am hungry!!! Let me go!!) Hindu

The boy with the black hat then says, "Can have your number and address so that we can come and talk to you about all this" ?. I very politely tell him that I am going back to India on Tuesday and am busy at work everyday till then. He says OK and walks on after saying "It was nice talking to you" (!!).

I passed by the chapel on the street. I believe there is a God and have never questioned my belief. This belief is a sustenance for my soul. I wouldnt live through the hard days had I nothing to hold on to. I have faith..This keeps me going.

Back home in the evening. I have a lot of work to finish before this weekend. Yet I sit down and recount this incident today. I dont yet have the answer to the question "What makes me happy".

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely blog; keep the tempo going...miss ya

Jaya said...

Thanks Ankur. I will make best attempts to pen down(rather type out) whatever comes to my mind.