Monday, September 29, 2008

What a waste





This is a scene on Bangalore's Bannerghatta Road. This water tanker drove for a good distance in front of my vehicle and I noticed a steady stream of water dripping from the pipe at the back and this is not the first instance. I have noticed 9 out of 10 tankers leaking precious water onto the road and the amount of water wasted over a kilometer, I am sure would be enough for a household of 4 for over 2 hrs.
The Bangalore Water Supply and Sewerage Board has a fleet of about 25, 6000 litres tankers and about 23 18000-20000 litres capacity tankers.
I was reading an article in the Hindu dated 24th August : http://www.hindu.com/2006/08/24/stories/2006082425230300.htm
It is indeed a very good step on part of the government to make water available in areas where the pipelines have either not reached or are under maintenance. But I would suggest that the tankers be checked and water loss be prevented, unless ofcourse it is by design. And in case it is by design, I feel the design is flawed!
The third picture shows an autorickshaw letting out thick fumes (not very evident due to the poor resolution of my cell phone camera). Yet again this is not the first incident of a polluting vehicle on the roads. I must commend the Bangalore traffic police on their efforts at checking rash/drunken driving, dazzling headlights, worn out tyres, etc. I am sure they are keeping an eye out for polluting vehicles as well, but somehow this one and a few others escape their notice.

2 comments:

Vaibhav Choudhary said...

Yes, Bangalore is quite bad in pollution(not only with dust but with sound as well), mostly because of auto's.
Horn is such a bad habit here. Delhi traffic added fine on unnecessary horn.

Thanks to all those big trees !!

Jaya said...

@vaibhav
I agree with you on the necessity of punitive measures for commuters causing unnecessary noise and pollution in cities.