Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Destination - Bangalore

Area: 365.6 sq.km. Altitude: 914.4 m (3000 ft) above sea level
Geographical Location:Latitudinal Parallels: 12° 57' NLongitudinal Meridians: 77° 37' E
Climate:Unlike other parts of India which are extremely hot in the summer months, Bangalore enjoys a relatively mild climate year round. March to May (warmest months)June to September (rainy - South-West Monsoon)November to December (rainy - North-East Monsoon)December to January (coldest months)
Temperature:Highest maximum of 37 degree Celsius to lowest minimum of 14 degree Celsius

This is where I am headed and the next two pictures show what I dread.


I have heard it is a decent city. Home to about 6 million people, it is the fifth largest city in India. It is the Information technology capital of India with nearly 1000 software units. Karnataka Government offers special Incentives for Investors in the IT field. Information technology is an Industry and not a commercial venture.
On the cultural front, Bangalore is very tolerant. People are warm and ready to help anytime you need them. One problem is that some of the Green grocers, and laundry staff do not understand either English or Hindi. The second problem is I do not understand Kannada. The dress code is determined by the weather(which is mild to warm). Eating joints close around 11 pm through midnight. Taxi drivers, hair dressers, porters expect a 10-15% tip. Same applies to restaurants.
From my experience of the city, it is extremely difficult to navigate through the traffic. It may take more than 1.5 hours for a distance of 12-14 kms.
It is better that I do not add to the congestion on the roads and use public transport instead, till the time the situation turns for the better.

After a practical analysis of my destination, I will assess the impractical significance of the city:
Foremost, I am looking forward to living in Bangalore. I have seen it attract intellectuals from remote corners of the nation and keep them.
It is a city, which has not yet come to terms with its modernity completely. It is tremendously progressive, but never lets the ground out of sight.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have a gr8 time in the IT city!

Knowledge of a a few Kannada phrases might just be useful!

Cheers,
HP

Jaya said...

Thanks. I will try to learn some Kannada to make life easier for myself as well as the vegetable sellers.
Sorry, I do not recognise you. HP does not ring a bell.

pushkar's dairy said...

Hi,
Jaya thanks for the update. I am regular reader of your poems. I am also a SE working in Bangalore. I am from Bihar...If possible can I have any contact or any communication with you.

Jaya said...

Hi Piyush,
Are you sure, you are talking to the right Jaya? I have just one blog space here on Blogger and I have published just 4 poems till date. We can talk of furthering our acquaintance once you have established it is my poems that you've been reading. Cheers!