Monday, March 05, 2007

Garden City - Parched Throats

The Hindu prints " Not all citizens have access to safe drinking water in Bangalore. Yet the BBMP uses more than 160 lakh litres of borewell water for its parks, medians and junctions everyday"!
Appalling.
Reason - Treated water likely to cost more.

I consumed tap water in my kitchen for 2 days and was down with stomach infection and fever. This forced me to look for bottled water. Most of the people do likewise.

The treatment plants are not located close enough to the parks. They have fancy plans to build new plants, start rainwater harvesting etc. I pray it is accomplished before any further damage. On second thoughts, does it really matter? I can survive on bottled water. Should I be worrying about the thousands I see on the streets and in the slums?
I can afford to move around the town and appreciate the green gardens and well maintained traffic junctions. Do they earn enough to spend Rs 50 on a 20 litres bottle of water?

I would rather like to watch Disney's Tarzan and Jane than worry myself silly over all this.

No comments: