Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Paper Boats

Fathomless and unbounded
The ravine filled in August
It had rained incessantly for weeks
The mud baked walls had mellowed
How I wished I could hold them close
And prevent them from disintegrating

Evenings stole on me,
Games of a different sort.
Morn...Smoke curtained trees, flowed
Embers from the night's fire
Unsatiated, still glowed

Strangers and kin
A collusion, oblivion
I journeyed to the yore
I have a faint remembrance
Is this how it were before?

Long years have gone by
I cannot look back
Shallow puddles, paper boats
Take them asunder
I am challenged by daunting moats

Fathomless and unbounded
The ravine filled in August
It had poured, night after night
Water streaked walls crumbled
Paper boats, soggy and wet
How I wish I hold them afloat.

3 comments:

esirah said...

Very nice ... as always, love your writing. So this is the third post in a a relatively short amount of time that deals with water (The Fabled Lake, Garden City - Parched Throats being the other two)... not sure if there's a connection, but just something I noticed. I like the way you returned to the first line for the last stanza. Nice...

पुष्यमित्र said...

Fathomless & Unbounded RAVINE is equally touching as Fabled LAKE. You have given life in both inert and uncommon geographical dimensions.

Jaya said...

Esirah,
Glad you like the post. Its not intentional that I have had water in 3 consecutive posts. Its just that I find it so fascinating, and mysterious. I love the rain, rivers, streams and little waterfalls, but I find oceans very challenging and scary!

Pushyamitra,
Thanks for the appreciation. Glad you liked both my poems.