Saturday, March 10, 2007

Scarlett - 2


"The old ladder is under my quilts, Momma. Grainne told me to save it"
From cold war to Irish insurgence and unrest. Horse races, Dublin, River Liffey, Georgia, Charleston. This book never tires me. I can read it while I am walking, while I am talking, or on a bus to work and even when I am half asleep, and still remember everything as though I had been watching a movie.
Scarlett has surely changed and matured into a real person. Although she had to face greater hardships and bleak times in Gone With the Wind, she did not learn humility once she was victorious. She was trying hard to be someone she was not. And she lost Rhett eventually.
I am done with reading the book and surely regret my premature review - 1.
I have never seen a more determined person. She builds a lost town almost single handedly, raises her daughter, never once looking for help. She never gives in to the insufferable agony, and rejection that she has had to face all her life with her people. It is only when she is in Ireland on the lands of the O'Hara's that she discovers herself. Rhett hasn't changed much. He is the same infuriating, loving character he's always been.

I am glad I read the book. It has definitely changed my opinion about Scarlett 'O Hara. I simply love it when Rhett and Scarlett are back together. She belongs with him and it should have been like that all along. Their little girl Cat(Katie O'Hara) is another character I will remember for a long time.

I'll take you home again, Kathleen
Across the ocean wild and wide
To where your heart has ever been
Since first you were my bonny bride.
The roses all have left your cheek.
I've watched them fade away and die.
Your voice is sad when e'er you speak
And tears be-dim your loving eyes.
And I wll take you back, Kathleen
To where your heart will feel no pain.
And when the hills are fresh and green
I will take you home, Kathleen

For all Gone With the Wind fans, this book is a must read.

2 comments:

ubuntu said...

girl you surely read fast ...
i dare not pick a book that thick, dont have patience.

I'm glad you liked the book

Jaya said...

That book is so interesting, I just couldn't put it down! I liked it very much, Thanks.