Monday, March 05, 2007

Home Alone

"I understand English and Hindi".
"No Eenglish...vonly Kannada"!

"Coconut with 'Malai'"
I get a coconut with water only. On being queried, he explains something in Kannada with a smile on his face, obviously oblivious of what I had asked for.

I left the terrace door ajar last Thursday morning as per the instructions of my landlady. When I came back from work in the evening she was waiting for me at her door steps. In a very difficult mixture of Tamil, English and mime she explained that I should latch the door. I gave up and did not even try to explain, that I had left it open as she had instructed me on the first day (or maybe I had understood her incorrectly - more likely).

I had picked up a road map at the book stall and had studied it for quite sometime, so that I would be able to figure out my way around the city. I had also presumed that if I travel for a while in hired three wheelers I would learn the roads soon, but most of the roads are one way, never do I come back home the way I went out.

It is only when I am home in the evening, with music, a book or magazine in hand and vegetables to pare, sitting on the threshold to my terrace that I feel at home.

I am home alone and I love it.

No comments: